Monday, April 6, 2009

be originial at your prom!

what have we come to expect at proms? we've come to expect long flowing dresses--usually in reds, blues and yellows, with extremely curled hair frozen with hairspray, 10 pounds of makeup on each smiling girl, and usually silver or gold strappy heels. we've also come to expect amazing ugly wannabee princess like dresses with corseted tops and disgusting gigantic ruched skirts. if you're going to spend money on your prom...and i mean money, then at least spend it on the right things. spend it on a dress you wouldn't be surprised to see on the red carpet, spend it on something unexpected, yet classy and beautiful so that you don't blend in with the other girls. spend it on accessories that you can depend on to transform you from prom attendee to the only prom attendee anyone is looking at. spend your money, and make sure you look good. be original at your prom with the items below (or items like them).


♥ me


prom09


wear a dress in an unexpected color like brown, orange, or white. and if you want to stand out even more, wear a beautiful print like the one featured in the exquisite sexy purple print prom dress by jovani from edressme.com. it has marvelous beading detail at the bodice, and the back is open and the skirt is amazingly flowy. i love the purple hue and the fun yet elegant print. i am also in love with the short length featured in the bright ABS by Allen Schwartz strapless floral print dress from neimanmarcus.com. this dress is so young and fun, yet it is definitely fit for a formal occassion, and it's easy to dance in because you don't have two much fabric around your legs. another great short option is the simply feminine two-tone ruffle dress also from neimanmarcus. the hem is flirty and flouncy, and i love that the dress is white and still does not appear bridal. we don't often see too many white dresses at proms, so stand out in the crowd with a dress that is both white and short. nobody will be able to take their eyes off of you.


make sure that your originality doesn't stop at the dress you choose. accessories are also very important! i am in love with the tasha serpentine metal headband from nordstrom.com. it is so beautiful, and the accessory isn't too overpowering. if you're a tiara kind of girl the tiara l'arc #R50 from tiaratown.com is the one for you. those jose & maria barrera earrings are such works of art, and i love the pink hue. you don't see too many girls wearing pink earrings--they usually wear silver/gold, so break away from the pack by wearing an earring that is colored. the purple enamel matthew campbell laurenza bangle is so stunning, i think it would also be a great choice of accessory. with a bangle like that, you could definitely keep the other accessories simple.


if you want to be experimental with your makeup too, try something like a green (or just bright) eyeshadow, super long eyelashes, or winged out eyeliner.


bring some excitement to your feet with some fierce shoes. i'm loving the shocking pink hue on the pierre hardy patent open toe pumps from luisaviaroma.com, the bandagey-fetishy appeal of the minnah by steve madden, and the bright blue wedge that is the charles david tock from piperlime.com.


hope you enjoyed dearies. :)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely birthday wishes, Zoe! =] You're so sweet!

    And prom! I'm quite excited for mine =]

    Bisous,
    La C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fabulous post should be required reading for all female promgoers! Love your advice and the collage - especially those pink shoes!!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accessorizing is such a perfect way to be original at prom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like you blog for what it offers but I had to admit, I was a little put off by the comment in your profile. I'm a black person that was born in America but do not consider myself to be African American because my entire family is from Jamaica. I'm sure you didn't mean any harm by it, but it comes off as extremely defensive and I hate for it to put off others, African American or otherwise. I'm not saying this to be all super-hardcore but I don't know, there are ways of saying things that are a little more all-encompassing. With that said, I enjoyed checking out your blog, and will certainly be back : )

    http://derherzen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I am against all the cliche prom business. The girls will regret it when they look back. My yr 10 formal (works different in australia) I can't believe what I wore (or what evetyone wore) I blame it on the fashion of the time. Oh dear, I actually wore everything you described and my hair in curls! But honestly opting for a gorgeous dress, your photos will thank you after.

    ReplyDelete


carine roitfeld
michelle obama
selita ebanks
kerry washington
annalynne mccord
thandie newton
evan rachel wood
emanuelle alt
dree hemingway

About Me

My photo
I am an immigrant. I was born in the caribbean and wish i was there rather than having to deal with the sporadic weather of chicago. I love fashion. My family is crazy, and blogging is a hobby that keeps me sane. I also strongly believe that it doesn't take money to look good, it just takes innate style.

Tags


thanks couturecarrie!<3